If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

      What is a Pet Emergency?    

Common cases that require immediate medical attention and which may progress to fatal without treatment are:

  • A deep chested dog with a distended abdomen, attempting to vomit or acting distressed
  • Lacerations, bite wounds or any other open wound
  •  Eye issues, red, swollen, draining  
  • A male cat straining to urinate
  • A dog or cat unable to move its hind limbs
  • Any pet having difficulty breathing
  •   Hit by a car, even if there are no obvious wounds to the outside
  • A puppy that is lethargic, not accepting food, vomiting or has diarrhea
  • Any pet that has collapsed or is acting weak
  • A birthing mother that has not produced the first pup after two hours of hard labor (not pre-labor or nesting behavior), or more than two hours between pups
  • Other possible scenarios that may require immediate medical attention are ingestion of the following:

Rodent Bait

Grapes or raisins

Wild mushrooms

Human Medications

Ibuprofen or Tylenol

String

Lilies

Sago Palms

Chocolate

Sago Palms

Chocolate

Batteries

Fertilizer

Onions

Rocks

Socks

Bones

Coins

If your pet has ingested something not on this list and you would like more information refer to the phone numbers or websites listed below

ASPCA

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

(888) 426-4435

Pet Poison Helpline

800-213-6680

You know your pet better than we do. If you are concerned enough to call, your pet should probably be seen. We make no attempt to diagnose or treat over the phone. But we will tell you if we think the pet should not wait another to be seen or if the next available appointment would be best.